Sunday, February 17, 2013

A few of my favorite things

Crockpots, Lemons, and Squash oh my!
 
 
I really don't know how I survived on my own before I discovered Crockpot cooking. I use my Crockpot at least once a week. Usually on one of my longer work days so that I can just come home and make a few final touches to dinner and spend the rest of my time with my boys. This recipe combines my favorite cooking method with my favorite flavor, lemon. I absolutely love citrus flavor in cooking.
 
 I found this recipe on Pinterest(my favorite web invention ever!) way back when I first joined but, in trying to give credit, I discovered that the link is no longer valid. Sorry to whomever created this fabulous dish. I love it and wish I could give you credit!
I'm of course referring to Crockpot Lemon Chicken.
What you will need:
about 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1 stick salted butter
3-4 large lemons(depending on your personal taste)
1-2 packets Good Seasons Zesty Italian dressing mix
(I always use 2 for a nice rich flavor)
2 cups white or brown rice
optional: 1 large or 2 small yellow squash(my favorite vegetable!)
 
Place the stick of butter in the bottom of the Crockpot. Place the chicken breasts on top. Sprinkle the dressing packets over the chicken. Now juice the lemons right on top. Let it go on low for 4-6 hours.
About 1/2 hour before serving time, shred up the chicken. Then cut up the squash and add to Crockpot.
Cook your rice and serve the chicken on top.
Looks yummy, right?
 
As an alternative, you can do this on the stove top. I used chicken tenderloins for this method. Dredge them in flour, saute in frying pan with 2 tablespoons of butter(used far less butter for this method!!) and then added the dressing mix, lemon juice, and squash to marinate over low heat for a few minutes. I served this over rice as well but nixed the shredding of the chicken. Tastes great this way too!
 
And since I'm talking about a few of my favorite things, can I just take a minute and share my favorite Valentine card of all time? My first one from the little man!
Made my heart melt!!!!!!
 
Hope you all have a great dinner tonight!
 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren!!! I have you signed up for the Lucky Leprechaun book & polish swap & I just tried emailing you your swap partner & the message keeps coming back as failed to send. We may have the wrong email address down for you or something and I have no other way to get in contact besides your blog, so forgive me for leaving this in a comment here. Please email me at M.Swenson@hotmail.com so I can get you & your partner your swap info asap!!! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete