Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hey Hey Jalapeno

Let's talk Super Bowl.It annoys me that unless you're an official sponsor, advertisers have to refer to it as "the big game."Really, NFL? You needed to trademark the name of the game? Super Bowl, Super Bowl, Super Bowl. Whatcha gonna do about it??
 
Ok, Ok I'm just being bitter because my team didn't make it.
 
 
 
Why, Clay Matthews? Why couldn't you do it this year? I love you anyway. Call me.
 
But I digress. If I can't take an interest in the teams playing, at least I can be excited about the snacks!! My most prized recipe is a fan favorite. It gets requested anytime I'm invited to a family function. My husband eats it by the bowl full. My uncle likes it super hot. I'm talking about Jalapeno Popper Dip.
Mayo, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, bacon(optional), pickled jalapenos, and a fresh jalapeno(optional).

Drain and dice the pickled jalapenos. Seed and dice the fresh jalapeno if you dare! Be careful with this step, the heat stays on your fingers forever! I suggest wearing gloves if possible.
 
Heat the bacon and crumble it up. I suggest using fully cooked, microwavable bacon. It tastes just as good and saves the mess since you only need a few slices. Mix all the ingredients together really well.
Top with some more cheddar and parmesan cheese and bake it until bubbling. I've served this dip several different ways at this point. In mini quiche shells, stuffed in crescent rolls, in the crock pot, with wheat thins and with tortilla chips. I was feeling ambitious and decided this batch would be served with homemade tortilla chips. I bought corn tortillas at the market and cut them into triangles.
 Arrange them on cookie sheet and brush with some olive oil then sprinkle with some salt. I used ground sea salt to for a nice texture. I also used this lime infused olive oil for a little extra flavor.
Purchased at The Tubby Olive in Reading Terminal Market. Seriously, check that place out. They have an amazing selection of flavored oils and balsamic vinegars that you can taste before you buy.
 
Baked at 350 for about 10 minutes.
 
Jalapeno Popper Dip Ingredients
 
1 block of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup shredded cheddar, plus extra for topping
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
4 ounce can sliced pickled jalapenos, drained and diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced(optional)
4-5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
 
Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 until bubbling and melted (about 20 minutes)
*I usually double this recipe for parties as it tends to disappear quickly!
 
 
What's your favorite party food? Hope you all enjoy "The Big Game", I'll probably be asleep before Beyonce struts out at half time!
 
 
 
 


1 comment: