Sunday, February 24, 2013

One Pot Dinner=Lazy Sunday Favorite

       Friday night Coach bag bingo that lasted 16 hours(I exaggerate, but not by much) and a long Saturday at the Stringband Show of Shows makes for a very lazy Sunday in this house. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the little man up with the sun, we wouldn't have gotten out of bed today. We only left the house to run to Target for diapers and wipes(congrats to me for making out of the store with ONLY the items on my list!). So while I normally enjoy spending a little bit of time in the kitchen on Sundays, today I didn't want to move from the couch. These are the days when I'm thankful for easy one-pot meals.
       Stuffed peppers are probably my favorite fall/winter comfort food. However, I don't like making them. Too many pots and pans to clean up. Plus, Kenny only likes the peppers when they are really soft and I don't have my dutch oven anymore to be able to make them that way.So I came up with this recipe a few months ago to solve these issues. I call it Stuffed Pepper Goulash.
 
Some ground beef/turkey, peppers, rice, diced tomatoes, sauce, and good seasons zesty italian dressing.
Start by chopping up your peppers. I used a green bell pepper and a red pepper since that's what I had in the fridge. Brown your meat and drain the fat.I used extra lean ground turkey today like I usually do to make it a healthier option. Throw in the peppers and zesty italian mix and saute for a few minutes to soften the peppers.
Then add your diced tomatoes, sauce, a little water, and rice. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until the rice is tender and some of the liquid is absorbed. You're done.
I spent about 20 minutes of my day in the kitchen and still had a fabulous, flavorful, healthy dinner with my boys.
Now I'm off to enjoy the Oscars-even though I haven't seen a single movie nominated!
 
 
 
Stuffed Pepper Goulash
 
1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 can petite diced tomatoes(do not drain)
1 can tomato sauce
1 packet good seasons zesty italian dressing mix
1-2 bell peppers, diced
1 cup water
1 cup rice
 
Brown meat and drain fat. Add peppers and dressing mix. Saute for a few minutes until peppers start to soften. Add diced tomatoes and their liquid, the sauce, the water and the rice. Stir well and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes until rice is tender. Add some grated parmesan and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment