Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Relaxing after a big weekend

We were out all weekend. I didn't cook a single meal this weekend except instant oatmeal for breakfast(and I'm pretty sure microwaving does not count as cooking). We had my godson's first birthday party Saturday and the St. Patrick's Day Parade on Sunday. Both were a blast. My husband has participated in the parade for the past three years as a member of Cairdeas Irish Brigade. This year, little K participated too.
The cookie monster cake and cupcakes were made by my cousin.(inquire within if you're interested in her making your next party cake!)
Pics of my handsome little man, the hubby, and his bestie
(Yes, I put my son in a kilt. He looks cute and you know it)
 
So needless to say, after not cooking all weekend, it was hard to get back into the groove of it. Crock pot Jalapeno Chicken is a dish I made up after trying to make a stuffed chicken breast recipe I had found that was sloppy and difficult to make. Its so easy and low fat that I could eat it multiple times a week. We even made it a few weeks ago when we went up to the Poconos so that after a day in the snow, we had a nice, filling dinner waiting for us.
 
What you need:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast(I use tenderloins for easy shredding)
1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
1 block of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
3-4 jalapenos(you can use pickled if you're afraid of the heat, but fresh is best)
2 cups cooked white or brown rice
I used to chop the jalapenos but at the suggestion of my girlfriend, I started using the food processor to make them more of a puree.
Place the chicken in the crock pot and top with soup, cream cheese, and jalapeno puree.
 
 Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred chicken with 2 forks or leave slightly chunky. Serve over rice. Voila!
Next week on the menu: A buffalo enchilada crock pot meal by my sister
Have a great week!

2 comments: