Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sunday Supper Special

My sister Jill has been bugging me for a few weeks to try this new recipe she came up with and blog about it. Its been a rather busy few weeks for me so yesterday I finally had the time to try it out. She's calling it Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas. Normally enchiladas are baked in the tortillas smothered in sauce....and I don't care for them because of how soggy and messy they can be. So while we are calling these enchiladas, they are more of a taco with enchilada sauce. And boy are they spicy!! If you're like me, the hotter the better. These were so good and the recipe was filling and made enough to have leftovers for lunch today..and tomorrow!
What you need:
About 1-2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast(the more chicken, the less "saucy" they are)
1 10 ounce can enchilada sauce
1 can Ro-tel(or any brand diced tomatoes and green chiles)
8 oz Frank's Red Hot Buffalo(please don't use another brand-Frank's is the best!)
1 packet Ranch dressing mix
4-5 tablespoons queso dip
shredded cheddar(I used cheddar jack this time)
 
O and if you're trying to avoid dishes(like the crock pot makes so many dirty dishes, right?)
Check these out
They weren't cheap but since I was using my crock pot again today, it was great to just throw away the liner and not worry about washing it.
Anyway, back to the recipe. Put chicken in the bottom of crock pot and pour ro-tel, enchilada sauce, buffalo sauce, and ranch mix on top. Stir and cook on low for a few hours(4 hours is just about right to get the chicken to shredable). Mix in the queso dip at this point. I accidentally bought Tostitos plain cheese dip instead of a spicy queso dip but this worked to give it just a little creaminess. FYI, that stuff tastes like crap on its own. Shred up your chicken and sprinkle in as much or as little shredded cheese as you want and your done. Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese on tortillas. You can probably use all the usual taco fixins that you like in your home, but that's about all we put on our tacos so that's all I put out!
Kenny actually was dipping lime Tostitos in it today for lunch. This was right up our alley in the heat department. Thanks Jill for the great recipe!
 
Now obviously I had this yesterday.. don't worry I wasn't being sacrilegious enough to eat Mexican food on St. Patrick's Day. Although, I can't say we are eating corned beef and cabbage today either. I settled on pot roast with potatoes and baby carrots. In the crock pot of course!
I don't have a picture of that since its still going but I can tell you how I make mine. Everyone has their own secret way I'm sure. I use yukon gold mini potatoes. One little bag fits nicely in the crock pot after I cut them in half. I throw them and the carrots in and place the roast on top of them. Then I mix one packet each of ranch dressing mix, italian dressing mix, and brown gravy mix with 3/4 cup of water and pour on top. I cook it low and slow(about 8-10 hours). Its so juicy and tender this way. Yummm
Hope everyone enjoys their St. Patrick's Day, Irish or not!
 


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try the enchiladas!

    What cut of meat do you use for your pot roast? I'm never satisfied with what I pick out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually use a bottom round. Its a little tougher but low and slow seems to tenderize it. Top round cuts work pretty good too they are a little more tender to start, but i lean towards the cheaper cuts for slow cooker stuff.

    ReplyDelete