Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Little Man

My baby boy is 22 months old and slightly behind in the speech department. Not for any particular reason other than he just is. At his 18 month check up the pediatrician that we saw(not his normal doctor-ugh!) said that he had a delay and ordered a hearing evaluation and wanted us to start early intervention speech therapy right away. Knowing my son, and not feeling as though there was anything really wrong, I was not thrilled with this. I went ahead and did the hearing evaluation, and just like everyone thought, he was fine. My brother in law(who is an OT with major pediatric experience) did an off the record, informal early intervention type evaluation and felt he was developmentally right on target. So I got a second appointment, this time with his normal pediatrician. What a relief that was because she completely agreed that at this stage in the game there was no cause for concern. He's just simply doing things in his time- just like he did with rolling, crawling, and walking. She felt as though with a little extra encouragement from us, he'd be on the right track. He's doing great and learning new words every day. He's on the shy side when it comes to talking to others, but he talks a blue streak to me and his daddy. Could he be further along? Absolutely. Is there anything wrong with him or his development? No way. I've learned that all kids do things at their own pace and learn differently. He's on his own right path and doing great.
With all that being said, the point of my post today is to share that yesterday he said "I love you Mama" and "I love you Dada" for the first time! I had tears in my eyes it had me so happy! No greater sound than your kid telling you they love you!
 
I managed to get him to say it again for the camera, even though he's usually Michigan J. Frog when I pull out the phone or camera!
Such a proud mommy moment that I just had to share!


9 comments:

  1. THIS. IS. AWESOME!!!!! I am soooo happy you caught that on camera! you wouldn't believe that it made me tear up as well!!! how cute is he????? 'I LOVE YOU, KAYDEN!!!!!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my grandson! so smart he is......

    ReplyDelete
  3. he is a cutie.....

    ReplyDelete