Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Midweek Deliciousness

My friend Steph blogged the other day about Jalapeno Cheddar Turkey Burgers that she had made and I immediately wanted them. I think by now you can tell I have a love for all things jalapeno! I couldn't stop thinking about them so I made them last night. You can find her version here. After looking at the original recipe, which you can find here, I decided that I liked how Steph made them more so I followed her recipe with a few tweaks for the picky eater I have (and no, I don't mean my son). I used ground turkey, 2 and 1/2 jalapenos chopped finely, and a whole crap load of cheese. I didn't have paprika and I'm not allowed to use chunks of onion(see the comment about picky eater), so I used garlic powder, onion powder, some chili powder, salt, and pepper. It was a little too cold out to grill so I pan seared them for a few minutes on each side and then threw them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes. They were so good!!! Steph was right, no condiments needed.
To go with them, I made some homemade tortilla chips and a queso dip that was supposed to be a Qdoba knock off. It was just okay. I was being lazy and already had jalapenos on hand so I substituted them for the poblano peppers and I could only find savory garlic cooking cream so I think it could have been a lot better with the right ingredients. I also omitted the cilantro because I'm not a huge fan. I will give this recipe a try again and do it as its written. We ate it anyway, of course.
Today I made a meal that has recently become a favorite around here. White Bean Chicken Chili. I LOVE chili. All kinds of chili but I think this one is at the top of my list. Its light and filling and it doesn't feel weird eating it in the spring(even though mother nature still hasn't figured out that it is indeed spring!). I use 2 cans of chopped green chiles and omit the onion. I also threw in a small amount of chopped jalapeno that i happened to have on hand from yesterday's dinner. It calls for a packet of taco seasoning but I found McCormick's White Chicken Chili seasoning at Shoprite the first time I made this and I've used that every time since.
 This isn't spicy at all, which is surprising around here, I know! Even little K was shoveling it in tonight. I served it with rice, sour cream, shredded cheese, and a little squeeze of lime juice. What did you have for dinner tonight?

 

2 comments:

  1. I was intrigued by the jalapeno cheddar turkey burgers when Steph posted them and now even more so. Maybe I'll be able to try these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked them, I think I'll add them to my regular rotation.

    I really need to make my own tortilla chips. So easy, there's no reason not to.

    ReplyDelete