Saturday, May 18, 2013

One Pan Spicy Sausage Pasta

You all know by now that I love easy dinners. This recipe here doesn't disappoint in the simplicity department...or the flavor department for that matter. I found this gem online, it's from The Best Simple Recipes by America's Test Kitchen. This dish is slightly on the spicy side, but you can use mild tomatoes and chilies if you are not a fan of heat. You have to try this dinner either way! 
 
It calls for smoked sausage, but as usual, I go the healthier route and use turkey.
The first time I made this, Shoprite didn't have regular smoked turkey sausage so I tried this turkey kielbasa and I've used it every time. Its got a great flavor and it does not taste like turkey at all!
You need a little heavy cream, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes with green chilies. As well as some pasta.
It also calls for diced onions but I'm not allowed to use them so I just add a little of this for flavor.

Add a little olive oil to an oven safe skillet and heat. Throw in your sausage and garlic (and onions if using) and cook just until lightly browned.
Here's the best part. All you have to do now is throw in the uncooked pasta and the rest of the ingredients,  saving the cheese for the end, and let it simmer. Recipe also calls for scallions which I omitted.
Mix in some of the cheese then top with the rest and throw it in the oven and broil just until the cheese bubbles and browns a little.
Serve and enjoy!!
 
 
Spicy Sausage Pasta
 
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb smoked (turkey) sausage
1.5 cups diced onions (I omitted)
2 cloves garlic minced
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz penne pasta ( I used almost a full 16 oz bag instead)
1 cup Monterey Jack shredded cheese (pfft just a cup? I don't think so!)
1/3 cup thinly diced scallions (I omitted)
salt and pepper to taste
 
1. Add olive oil to oven safe skillet and heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook unit lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Add broth, cream, tomatoes, pasta, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove skillet from heat and mix in about 1/2 cup of the cheese. Top with the remaining cheese(or a lot more like I did!) and sprinkle with scallions if you like. Broil for a few minutes, until cheese is melted, bubbly and browning in spots.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment