Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Race for the Cure Recap

  • On Mother's Day, I participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure of Philadelphia.This walk supports breast cancer research, as well as mammograms and care for women in the region. Breast cancer has affected far too many people in my life and I will do everything in my power to see a cure in my lifetime. My hubby's family and I(and a few friends from my sister-in-law's work) formed a team about 2 months ago and started fundraising. We had a goal of $1000 but with the help of so many generous, caring people, we more than doubled it with a grand total of $2876! I couldn't have been more proud to be team captain! We had a great morning filled with some tears and lots of laughs. The weather was beautiful and the 5K was a breeze because we were having such a good time.
My sister-in-law Chrissy was kind enough to let me "borrow" a few of her pictures since I didn't have enough hands to take along my camera.
A few shots of some team members/family.
 
Clockwise from left: My hubby painted his nails pink in honor of the day; his string band played the event before the walk started; a shot of the survivors walking down the steps; the back of the survivor shirts-they really are an inspiration every day.
 
It was a great way to spend mother's day morning. We are already planning next year's walk, hoping our team expands and setting our fundraising goals even higher!
After we had a little lunch, I stopped to see my Mom and then was home for a nap before a home cooked dinner with my boys. They got me some new chef's knives and a cutting board-exactly what I asked for!
Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend!
O and if you love all things beauty, check out my sister's blog, Scissorhands Jill!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you guys walked. Love Kenny's pink nails!

    I love getting kitchenware as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, love the pink nails! Congrats on raising way more than your goal!

    ReplyDelete